Saturday, March 2, 2013

Thief

5:30 AM
slowly starting to blink your eyes open 
realizing the sweet toasty coziness of your fleece blankets and then 
a dull thud somewhere in the upper part of the house.  
Then some thump, thump, thumps down the stairs.  
Soon there's a small creature crawling up over your shoulder 
wedging itself between you and your husband.  
While wishing you were still snoozing 
you are now nose-to-nose with 
this sneaky little stinky-breathed sleep-stealer.  
But all your grumpy grogginess is forgotten 
when he whispers these words into the darkness, 
"Mommy, can I marry you?"  

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Becca! I love children's innocence! Your last line is perfect! I also really enjoyed the alliteration in, "...this sneaky little stinky-breathed sleep-stealer." I love the voice in ALL of your writing--whether it's a comment, post, email, or verbal...I can tell you ARE a "Word lover of all sorts!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I was hoping it was the little guy and not a furry pet! I love your last line...powerful dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I was prepared for a woofie, but I think your little one was a much nicer snuggle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so blessed to have a little cuddler. Mine are all grown up and I miss the cuddle times most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your use of second person is so vivid because of that final line! When's the wedding :) Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! So sweet! Love, love, love that last line!

    ReplyDelete