Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Special Job

My first trip down to visit the classroom where my mother worked as a paraprofessional in a "readiness" room was my inspiration.  I vividly remember a teeny little guy with super duper crazy curly hair that was practicing tying his shoes.  My task as a peer helper was to encourage and support him during his practice of this delicate art.  I did so for a few days and then one day - it happened.  A little nub of a loop connected to another barely holding on by the aglet.  He. was. so. excited.  The glee that poured over that little guy began like a rainstorm.  A few trickles of grinning, a compliment from me, a whisper to see if he could show Mrs. Keiper,  gave way to steady streams of congratulations, high fives and maybe even a few sideways shoulder squishes.

These days working with my 8th graders, it doesn't happen as often, nor as exuberant.  Ha.  That - would NOT be cool.  But seeing their faces light up when they've tried ten times harder than the others and only done half as well and STILL proud - that, my friends, makes being a special education teacher worth it.



12 comments:

  1. One of the best things in my middle school coaching experience in some remedial ELA classes was when kids enjoyed classes so much that many started asking how to get on the list for this class. They also told my son who was the same age how cool I was. That was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you connect both of these events together. I also agree about the exuberance of an 8th grader. That is definitely an oxymoron. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like a wonderful teacher. You know your kids and respond accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really realized the joy you and Sarah really experience until yesterday's Writing Group. It was never put into words on paper for me. I get it now. Words on paper truly have a voice of their own. Thanks for letting me in the group in spite of retiring from the trenches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading about your inspiration for becoming a teacher. The light coming on in their eyes is a wonderful thing to observe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your metaphor of a rainstorm. Well done! It's that "seeing their faces light up" that hooks us isn't it? Hooks us and keeps us going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brings back memories for me that I often forget about! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if I was in the building when you visited your mom. : ) I love your line..."few trickles of grinning..." Feel your joy that you have working with your kiddos. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the passion you show in all you do, Becca...whether that is writing, working with your kiddos, whatever. Your passion and kindness create many WINNERS in life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally see those "sideways shoulder squishes." 8th graders have their own special brand of peer encouragement, don't they?

    ReplyDelete