Friday, March 1, 2013

All is Well

Day is done
Gone the sun 
From the lakes, from hills, from the sky
All is well
Safely rest
God is nigh...

At least thirty meek first grade voices softly sang this tune at the end of every Troop 130 meeting.  We'd all hold hands and for a few brief moments our little souls were one with each other and with God.  




I had always found it a bit odd, though, that we'd end our time with Taps, a song often played at military funerals.  Not that I'd been to any, but I'd seen it on t.v. [Probably M.A.S.H. or something like that.]  Tonight though, this melody returns from long-ago memories to haunt me.  I received a Facebook message tonight asking for contributions toward flowers for one of our Girl Scout leaders.  She's not doing well and only expected to live a few more days.  I don't know all the details except that I think she had a brain aneurysm several years ago.  I'm guessing she never fully recovered.  I honestly don't know.  It doesn't really matter.

What does matter was that she was my mom.  Not my real mother of course, but she along with the other leaders were my friends' moms.  And they all helped to raise us.  Taught us how to sing in a round, which shampoo was best for our hair type.  Showed us how to make a shelter if you were stranded in the woods and that we are constantly surrounded by the miracle of nature.  I still avoid Pantene like the plague and try to never ever miss a moment of appreciation for God's creation.  


This dear lady was no exception to teaching me invaluable lessons.  She was incredibly kind and gentle - always.  When she spoke it was with such calm sincerity that I remember it vividly.  I wanted to be around her just to get a little taste of that peace.  I'm sure that a part of her is certainly now a part of me.  And it's hard to know that she'll soon be leaving this place.  


In times like these you lean on what you've build your life on - the foundation of faith in God and the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  And I can honestly say - with bittersweet sorrow  - that "all IS well".  In the joy of remembrance and in the weeping of loss - God is always good and he loves us all more than we will ever know.



You know, I'd had plans for my first "Slice".  I wanted something simple, but cute, quirky, ...whimsical even. You know - make a good (i.e. safe) first impression.  But that's not always what writing is about.  It can be light-hearted, but it means so much more when its real and raw in rips up your guts.  Tonight a simple Facebook message rocked my little world.  So this post is more than a little rough around the edges, but it's a slice of my life.


7 comments:

  1. You made the best choice for a first slice - a moment that spoke to you and took you back in time; you honored the memory of this dear lady and the impact she had on your life. What else could have been a better slice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something with whimsy wouldn't have given me the goosebumps this piece did. I'm so sorry that you will be losing this person from your life, but you gave her life with your words today. What an awesome tribute to someone important in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to this writing community. I am so sorry that a special person in your life will be leaving this world, but for a much better place - free of pain and in the glory of God. Last year was my first and I too felt intimidated, but you will find that this is a very loving and accepting community of slicers. Thank you for sharing this precious moment in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! Amazing how such a few simple lines could bring back a flood of memories. I immediately thought of my days as a Girl Scout as I began to read your post.
    I can relate to the difficulties you're having as you learn about your former troop leader- many of those women played such significant roles in our lives. Wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the slicing world! Your post was for today. Tomorrow and the next days will get their whimsical feelings. Thank you for sharing a touching moments with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me blink back tears. Your writing ripped up my guts tonight. I'm kinda wondering how I get to be your friend. I'm so glad you are writing with me this month and am really excited to read your words. You are a writer! Why have you been keeping this a secret from me?
    Hugs,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I'm sure that a part of her is certainly now a part of me." I truly believe that this is our gift--that the best of the people we've loved lives on through us. Surely it is true in your case.

    You've managed, by adding that last little note, to give us not just a slice of your life, but a whole picture of the writerly voice you have to offer. I am looking forward to month of your whimsy, your quirky, your cute, your safe, and your gut-wrenching, your raw, your close to the bone, your truth, your story.

    ReplyDelete