Thursday, March 7, 2013

Just Write

Just write something.  Write about... your dog, your kids, your job, whatever.  It doesn't matter - just write.

Yeah. 

Sure.

That's all well and fine until you know that someone ELSE is going to see it.  

I'm lovin' this entire process though.  It's so very good for me.  How many times have I uttered that first line to a bunch of 13-15 year-olds?  Like it's no big deal, right?  

No big deal to pour your heart into something and have it critiqued.

No big deal to happen to make a poor choice for a topic for the day and write something lame and suck-y and then have it stuck in the cogs of your brain for ever and ever wishing you could delete!

Writing takes so much more courage than we give it credit for.  And I need to remember to be patient and commend my students' courage much more often.  

I also need to be more courageous in my own writing... to dare, to dream, to dance.



3 comments:

  1. Yes, I need to be more courageous in my writing. But writing is a big deal if others are reading it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! She writes tonight.

    You're right...about it going public and then wishing maybe you wrote something different and how it gets stuck in your brain and swirls around, gaining energy and making you wonder why you even thought you could write in the first place.

    At least that's what happens to me.

    And then I say STOP. I say it out loud. I say it more than once.STOP. STOP.

    I've come to believe writers aren't people who don't write suck-y, rather writers are the ones who believe writing matters more than not writing.

    And they are brave enough to come back to the page day after day.

    You, my friend, have a book in you that wants to come out.

    I hope you keep collecting words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's takes a lot of courage to write, then press publish! I think our best tactic is to "write like no one's reading it!" Easier said than done!

    Here's to 24 more slices this month!

    ReplyDelete